Heart surgeries in Iran are done in the hands of capable and experienced Iranian doctors with high standard hospitals and professional personnel. The most common heart surgery in Iran is Open heart surgery or heart bypass. Iran is one of the top countries in doing successful heart surgeries and has the most progressed ways and techniques in this field.
The most common kind of open-heart surgery done in Iran is Coronary artery bypass. In simple words, doctor chooses an undamaged and healthy vein from the body and replaces and grafts it with blocked coronary artery for preventing heart attacks. This procedure lets the grafted artery to bypass the blocked and narrowed path artery and bring the blood to the heart.
This surgery is best suited for people with Coronary heart diseases, multivessel atherosclerotic disease that suffer from angina and heart attack, valvular disease, congenital lesions in children, and septal defects in grown-ups.
Open heart surgery is done in Iran in different ways, traditional form of cutting the chest wide open or using robotic arms in which the doctor controls the instruments remotely. So, our doctors will take different factors like the severity of the blockage, location of the damaged vessel, Arthrosclerosis severity, lung diseases, heart beat rate into consideration then decide about the best way of performing your surgery in your consult session.
Hospitals performing heart surgery in Iran have the top-notch technology and equipment for doing Eco-cardiograph processes such as stress echo, eco-cardiograph through esophagus, angioplasty, and electro-physiology alongside with treatment for invasive angiographic attacks.
Cardiology Treatments covered in Iran:
- Open heart surgery (CABG)
- Vessel Angioplasty (1 and 2 vessel)
- Aortic Valve or Mitral Valve Replacement
- PCI Stent and Ballooning of Coronary Arteries
- Ventricular Septal Defects (VSD) Repair
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Repair
- EPS Ablation
- Heart Valve Replacement Surgery
- Coronary Angiography
- Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator Surgery
- Heart Pacemaker Surgery
- Peripheral Angioplasty Procedure
- Trans myocardial Laser Revascularization Procedure
During the surgery:
- Be sure to inform your doctor about the medications you are using, even over the counter medications.
- In the case that you are a smoker, you must quit smoking at least 2 weeks before the surgery.
- Before the surgery, one electro-cardiogram, blood test, urinate test, and an X-ray of your chest are needed to give the exact and updated information to your surgeon.
- Since any kind of infection affects your health and recovery process, if you see any kind of change in your health condition such as having a cold or flu, you must tell it to your doctor.
- You better take a shower the night before and rinse your body from bacteria.
- Anesthesia works best when it is injected with an empty stomach, so our doctors recommend not to eat or drink anything after midnight. In the case you eat something let know your doctor.
Generally, the surgery would take about 3-6 hours, the patient will be under the general anesthesia, breathing tubes will be attached to the patient. If it is open heart surgery or bypass, the surgeon makes 6-8 inches incision on the chest and cuts the breast bone for reaching the heart.
After the surgery the patient spends 2 days in ICU until the patient`s condition is stabilized. Then the patient spends 5-6 days in the hospital, after giving the necessary instructions about the exercise and programs for helping you recover, the patient can be discharged and go home. (depending on the patient`s unique case and condition the duration of days spend in ICU differs). It would take you 4-6 weeks to get back to daily works like driving, working and routine chores.
Risks of Having a Heart Surgery:
Allergic Reaction to Anesthesia
Damage to kidney, liver and lungs
Heart rhythm irregularity
Death (in the case the patient is a senior or severely ill)